Are you feeling it this week? I mean, really feeling it?
So many of us are on our knees right now, desperately crawling towards whatever summer break we’ve cobbled together, too anxious to feel excited. (‘Will it rain the whole time?’; ‘What if there’s a cluster outbreak?’; ‘Where the hell can I get a pedicure for my gnarly old lady feet?’)
The adrenalin that kept us all going during lockdown has vanished. We’re done in.
So I wanted to make you smile this week and show you a brilliant campaign by the Icelandic tourist board, called ‘Looks Like You Need Iceland’.
It invites you to indulge in a little ‘scream therapy’ to get rid of the tensions that 2020 has brought. They then ‘release’ your scream into the Icelandic wilderness with a live feed.
I thoroughly recommend it – both the campaign and the screaming.
The campaign works so well because:
- Right from the get-go, it’s all about us, not about them (‘You’ve been through a lot this year’)
- It taps into our collective mood right now: ‘…it looks like you need the perfect place to let your frustrations out’
- It’s interactive and engaging
- It’s funny without being in bad taste (watch the video, it’s hilarious)
- It’s one clear message, repeated several times
So if you’re struggling with a piece of communication or marketing right now, take a leaf out of the Icelanders’ book.
Be clear, relatable and audience focused. Have a simple message and say it often. Think about how you can make people smile. You won’t go wrong.
Failing that, just scream.